How do Netflix social features work?
If you connected your Netflix account to Facebook, you have the option of sending recommendations to Facebook friends. This sharing occurs within the Netflix service, not on Facebook.
Social features are enabled on many devices, including:
- Apple iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Android Mobile/Tablets
You can recommend individual movies or TV shows to your Facebook friends. Recommendations can be sent using supported devices and/or through your computer. These recommendations will be delivered to your friends in a variety of ways:
- Friends who have connected their Netflix account to Facebook will receive recommendations via email, push notifications on their mobile devices (if they have enabled push notifications from Netflix), and in the Netflix experience (such as in our notification center or highlighted for them as they browse our service).
- Friends who are not members of Netflix (or who are members but have not connected their Netflix account to Facebook) will receive recommendations via Facebook Messenger.
If you are a Netflix member whose Netflix account or profile is connected to Facebook, and you do not wish to receive recommendations from your friends any longer, you can opt out at any time.
- To opt out of receiving recommendations via email, simply access the Email preferences link on the Your Account page of our website and uncheck Messages from Friends to unsubscribe, or click the unsubscribe link in the email.
- To opt out of receiving recommendations via push notification, use your mobile device’s settings to turn off push notifications from Netflix.
- If you no longer wish to send or receive recommendations within our service (such as in our notification center or highlighted as you use our service), you can disconnect your Netflix account from Facebook. While you are disconnected, you will not be able to send or receive recommendations via email or push notification. However, you will still be able to receive recommendations from your friends via Facebook Messenger.
If you no longer want your Netflix account to be connected to Facebook, follow one of the options below.
Disable Social Settings from the Netflix website:
- Sign in to Netflix.com.
- Select the profile you want to disconnect from Facebook.
- Click your name in the upper right corner and select Your Account.
- Select Social Settings.
- Select Disconnect.
Disable Social Settings from the Facebook website:
- Sign in to Facebook.com.
- On the left side of the page, hover over Apps, then select More.
- Select Settings.
- Locate Netflix.
- Select See More if Netflix is not listed.
- Hover over Netflix and select Remove.
- Select Remove.
More information about sharing your Netflix activity and recommendations to friends can be found in our social terms.