Netflix Error N8211
The error you're seeing is related to the Silverlight plugin, which Netflix uses to play movies and TV shows on your computer.
This error is usually caused by one of three things:
- A computer setting preventing Silverlight from storing files it needs to play your movie or TV show
- An issue with the Silverlight plugin itself
- An issue with the content you're trying to play
To fix this error, follow the steps below for your Windows or Mac computer.
Steps for Windows
- In Internet Explorer, select the gear icon () or Tools from the upper-right corner of the window.
- Select Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab.
- Select Trusted Sites, then select the Sites button.
- Uncheck Require server verification.
- Delete anything related to Netflix in the Websites: field.
- Type *.netflix.com in the Add this website to the zone field.
- Select the Add button.
- Select the Close button.
The Microsoft Silverlight player on which Netflix.com runs requires that your Windows user account have administrative rights.
To confirm your account has admin rights, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Run browser as Administrator
- Quit all open browsers - including this window! You may want to print the following steps.
- Click on the Start Menu in the bottom left hand corner of your screen.
- Select All Programs.
- From the items listed, right-click (or press and hold on touchscreen devices) on your preferred browser icon (Netflix supports Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Google Chrome).
- Select Run as Administrator.
- If prompted, select Allow.
- Use this newly opened window to play your movie or TV show again.
- Attempting to play again from the original browser window will likely result in the same error.
- If these steps allow you to stream movies and TV shows from Netflix.com, your account does not have administrative rights. Talk to your computer manufacturer/administrator to add administrative rights to your account.
- Log in as another Windows user
- If you are able to play your movie or TV show, the new user account has the needed permissions to use the Silverlight player.
Steps for Mac
The Netflix.com player uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin, which requires that your OSX profile has administrative rights.
To confirm your account rights:
- From the Apple symbol in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select System Preferences.
- From the System section:
- In Lion (10.7) or newer, select Users & Groups.
- In Snow Leopard (10.6) or earlier, select Account.
- Make sure "Admin" appears under the Current User.
If your profile says Admin beneath it, or you want to allow another user profile access to Netflix.com, you may need to adjust the OSX parental controls.
To adjust Parental Controls:
- From the Apple symbol in the upper left corner of the screen, select System Preferences.
- From the System section, select Parental Controls.
- Select the user profile.
- Click on the Web button.
- Add Netflix.com as an allowed site.
- For accounts with Limited access, click on the Customize button and add Netflix.com under Always allow these websites.