Internet Connection Speed Recommendations
Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.
- 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
- 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
- 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
- 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
- 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
HD Video Quality
Movies and TV shows that are available in high definition will play in 720p or better with a fast enough Internet connection. To watch Netflix in HD, ensure you have an HD plan, then set your video quality setting to High in the Playback Settings for your account.
Netflix Bandwidth Usage
Higher quality video uses more bandwidth than lower quality video. If your service provider applies a bandwidth or data cap to your Internet service, you can Manage Bandwidth Usage by changing the video quality settings to Low or Medium to consume less data.
Check your connection speed
Many devices allow you to check your connection speed within the Netflix app. To check your connection speed, follow the steps below.
Note: If you are using a mobile device or computer, please visit Fast.com to test your speed.
- Begin from the Netflix home screen.
- Navigate up and select Settings or the Gear icon .
- If you do not see the Gear icon, your device does not support this feature.
- Select Check your Network.
- The Netflix app will verify that you can connect to the Internet and reach the Netflix servers. It will also check your connection speed.
- Once the test is complete, ensure that your speed meets our Internet speed recommendations above.
If your connection is slower than you expect, try troubleshooting connection issues to help improve your speed.