Using Netflix on your Chromecast
Welcome to Netflix on your Chromecast! Use this article to learn about Netflix features and how to set up and sign out of your account. If you’re unsure if your device supports Netflix, follow the steps on the “Set up Netflix” tab to attempt to locate the Netflix app.
Netflix is available on many Chromecast devices. Netflix streaming features on supported devices include:
Chromecasts will work with Netflix wherever Netflix is available, but may only be available for purchase in these regions.
Your Chromecast gives you the ability to control your Netflix experience from your Android device, Apple mobile device (iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch), or the Netflix website in your Chrome browser with the Google Cast extension installed.
Each device must have the latest updates installed. You can update the Netflix app from Google Play on Android devices and the App Store on Apple mobile devices. The Google Chrome browser updates automatically.
- Compatible with iOS 7.0 or later iPhones, iPads, and iPods.
- Compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 4.1 or later smartphones and tablets.
- Compatible with the Chrome browser on Windows, Mac, and Chromebook computers
- Versions of the Chrome browser older than version 51 must have the Google Cast extension installed on your Windows, Mac or Chromebook computer.
Chromecast will stream Netflix TV shows and movies in 1080p; titles with an HD symbol will stream in high definition with an Internet connection speed of 5 megabits per second or more.
Chromecast Ultra will stream Netflix TV shows and movies in 4K; titles with an UltraHD symbol will stream in ultra high definition with an Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or more.
Subtitles and Audio:
Chromecast supports subtitles, alternative audio (dubbing, other languages), and 5.1 Surround Sound when available.
For general information about Chromecast, please visit: google.com/chromecast.
For assistance getting started with Chromecast and getting it connected to your TV and/or Wi-FI network, see support.google.com/chromecast.
Not all routers are compatible with Google Chromecast. For more information, see Google's list of supported routers.
Set up Netflix
To connect your Chromecast to your Netflix account, make sure you have connected your Chromecast to your TV and Wi-Fi network, then follow the steps below. Your mobile device or computer must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast. For information or assistance connecting your Chromecast to your TV and/or Wi-FI network, see support.google.com/chromecast.
- Launch the Netflix app on your Android device or Apple mobile device, or visit the Netflix website in your Chrome browser.
- Once you’re signed in, select the Cast icon from the upper right or lower right side of the screen.
- Select your Chromecast device from the list to launch the Netflix app on your TV.
- Select a TV show or movie to watch and press Play.
Your device is now connected to your Netflix account. Enjoy!
Sign out of Netflix
Chromecast uses the Netflix account information stored on your Android device or Apple mobile device, or the Netflix website in your Chrome browser. To disconnect from your Netflix account, simply sign out on the device you are using.
For specific information about disconnecting your Netflix account from your device, visit the following articles:
Netflix in Ultra HD
Netflix is available in Ultra HD on select Chromecast streaming media players. To stream in Ultra HD, you will need:
- A TV compatible with Ultra HD streaming from Netflix, connected to your Chromecast via an HDMI port that supports HDCP 2.2 or later (usually the HDMI 1 port).
- A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you're currently on at netflix.com/ChangePlan.
- A steady Internet connection speed of 25 megabits per second or higher.
- Streaming quality set to High or Auto. More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.
The below is a list of Chromecast models that currently support Netflix in Ultra HD.
- Chromecast Ultra
Having a problem? Visit I can't get Netflix to work on my Chromecast for help.